Friday, December 08, 2006

A fearless candle in the wind

Ever since I can remember myself, I was always fond of candles, their light, texture, warmth and scent. No, I am neither a pyromaniac nor some helplessly romantic individual; I simply admire their presence and luminescence around me anytime, anyplace.
For more than 5000 years, their unyielding radiance has shed its light to the human paths of ancient civilizations such as the Chinese, Egyptian, Greek and Roman, transcending all the way to the modern era.
But I’ll leave historical facts behind and focus on the energy and influence a candle provides in our lives today.
Why is it some of us are so passionate about candles?

Is it because of the subtle light and delicate warmth they perpetrate or is it more profound then that such as the contrast of their vulnerability and strength combined? A simple blow and they’re out, a simple touch and they ablaze. They may disintegrate by burning yet they remain a serene existence. Peculiar and distinct interactions in my opinion.
Often associated with romanticism and mysticism, candles have consequently been related to inner concentration, meditation and even self-absorption. Pragmatists may radically disagree with this but can we really deny the emittance of even the slightest amount of spirituality involved?
Furthermore, candles are also associated with commemorative ceremonies. People light candles “in memory of”.. Perhaps the dawdling burning of the flame is reminiscent of someone’s life which is an additional spiritual reference.
Although harmful to the eyes, I have often found myself gazing at burning candles for hours.
Whether it is for their shimmering flame or their flamboyant flair, consciously or not, I have repeatedly indulged myself to their frivolous dalliance!
Another thing I find fascinating with candles is their texture when melted. And no, this is not fetish related. Melted wax has a somewhat silky surface which is easily comparable to smooth skin not to mention it’s incredibly moldable.
Speaking of fetishes, candles are also known for their use in some “gratifying” physical practices. Perhaps the quick burn on the skin provides some kind of instant pleasure that instantly goes away. I wouldn’t want to get into too many details about this though as I am sure I will be misinterpreted. :-)
Last but not least, candles are also my preferred type of lighting. Nothing can compare to a candlelit room with soothing light and playful shadows which, when carefully observed, add a variety of colors and dancing silhouettes on the walls.
Regardless of their shape or color and whether they’re used for ceremonies, commemorations, romance, religious rituals, simple décor or any other possible use, candles have been, are and will indisputably be a great part of our lives. They certainly are a great part of mine.

3 Comments:

βλαχακι (το) said...

μία μεγάλη κρυστάλλινη γυάλα με νερό και floating cadles και γυάλινα χαλικάκια would have to be my absolute best.
i like your views on clouds as well

Axis Mundi said...

kalh idea.
s'euxaristw equally :)

Equilibrium said...

What an excellent tribute to candles! Candles are an important part of me too. A mere candle can provoke nostalgia to me. Through its flickering flame life retakes its meaning in front or my eyes. Maybe that's why all of my friends bring me candles as a present... Your text "brightly brilliant" once more!