Thursday, June 28, 2007

And it burns burns burns


If any of you caught some of my posts last summer you’ll probably remember me obsessing over the heat and global warming. Why would this year be any different right? Especially when I have to deal with one of the most severe heat waves ever recorded.
While northern Europe is being flooded by intense storms, these last couple of days we’ve recorded temperatures as high as 48 degrees Celsius, even surpassing Saudi Arabia’s Riyadh and making Athens the hottest city on earth on this day. This time, literally. I don’t believe I have ever felt this hot in my entire life. I mean ok, I had heard the weather forecasts and the news warning people not to get too much sun exposure and to take precautions to avoid dehydration but I just thought it was one of those alerts addressed to the elderly and people with respiratory complications but little did I know. I first realized how hot it was, when I stepped out of the office last evening and felt like I was breathing fire. I even felt my skin burning for the first time in my life while I could also sense the heat of the pavement on my feet. A choking atmosphere with an unusual smell of burnt... an altogether strange feeling which isn’t easy to describe. While meteorologists have announced that temperatures will drop a few degrees by next Friday, I can’t help to think that this is only the beginning of the summer. Are we to expect more heat waves this year? One thing's for sure, this is definitely going to be one hell of a summer.

0 Comments: