Monday, June 04, 2007

Me and the City

In my continuous effort to catch up for this last month, I’ve decided to share a few moments / happenings in the city which were quite interesting. I'll begin with a show held in Syntagma Square by an Australian dance company named Strange Fruit, which as they describe it, combines dancing, theatre and acrobatics. It was an interesting little show, but nothing breathtaking in my opinion. I mean ok, I didn’t expect to see De La Guarda but I had heard that they were acrobats so I expected something more edgy. It was nice though, and given the fact that it was performed outdoors and at sunset made it even more enjoyable. (see pictures)




My next event is the Champion’s League finals between Milan and Liverpool. A reminiscent breeze of the Olympic Games had taken over the city with hundreds of tourists of any age and gender, celebrating in the streets with flags, chants and unfortunately an overdose of alcohol on a 24hour basis.. I will not get into details of things that I have seen happening in the streets but I will say this.. Some people are animals! I will be fair though and say without generalizing that among the two teams, it was Liverpool’s fans which from what I saw, were being more extreme. I understand the need to celebrate and the need to have fun but not to the extent where they are so wasted that they do some group pissing in broad daylight in the middle of Syntagma Square and in front of people and children.. And imagine that all this was happening prior to the final game.. such a shame.. but then again, it could have been worse right? :-)

Last but not least, the latest event I’ve attended to was last night’s Jazz Festival held in the much-loved Technopolis. Although I didn’t stay too long due to other commitments, I really liked the show and the whole feeling. Then again, what’s not to like when music is involved. I have promised myself that this year I will try to attend to as many concerts possible and I’m happy to say that there are many interesting acts coming our way this summer, some of which I have already bought my tickets.. I’ll keep you posted of course!

1 Comment:

Equilibrium said...

Your reference to Athens Jazz Festival held in Technopolis, reminds me of the Brussels Jazz Marathon, back in 2004 "a la Belgique"

Concerts and demonstrations in every little corner of EU's capital. Thanks for the recollection..